Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daring Cooks make Edible Containers


Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com


I like it when I can kill two birds with one stone.  I selected Southwestern Egg Rolls for March's menu and then didn't get the chance to make them.  When this challenge was announced I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the possibilities, especially given the news that there were prizes to be awarded.  The pressure was on!


 

After thinking for a bit I came to the decision that this recipe would fit the requirements nicely. Now that I have completed it, I am a little less certain that I went in the right direction.  Since it is too late to do anything else I am just going to have to soldier forth with what I have regardless and simply try harder next time.


I really like being able to mix up the presentation or flavor of a standard food.  These egg rolls in no way resemble your standard takeout fare.  I love how light and crispy the wrapper becomes around the filling, much more delicate than if these had been made with tortillas.  I am sure that similar things are available, in fact I think I recall some that were served with a thin avocado and something dipping sauce, but I am thrilled with how these turned out.  Good Luck to all the Daring Cooks who have thrown their hats into the ring.  If you'd like to vote on any submissions don't forget to visit The Daring Kitchen, there were so many wonderful things made for this challenge!


Southwestern Egg Rolls
Ingredients
1 chicken breast cooked and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
1/4 cup green onion minced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup frozen spinach thawed and drained
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 tablespoon parsley minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of cayenne
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
several won ton wrappers (I think I used 6 or so but I really filled mine)
small bowl of cold water (for sealing wrappers)
sauces to serve (salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc.)

Instructions
To a large bowl, add all the ingredients except for the won ton wrappers, mix well.

Taking one wrapper at a time and leaving the remainder of the package covered with a damp towel, arrange the wrapper so that one of the corners of the square is pointed toward you.  Put a line of about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of filling in the center of the wrapper.  The less filling you use, the more like appetizers these will be, I tend to load mine up, but that is a personal preference. 

Dip a finger in the cold water and run it around the edge of the square to moisten.  Fold first the left and then the right points toward the center, they may or may not meet.  Fold the top point down toward you carefully and begin rolling the egg roll toward you, moisten with a little more water if needed to seal.

Continue assembling until all the filling has been used.  They can be prepared through this step and held covered in the fridge for a few hours before proceeding.

In a large, deep skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Cook the egg rolls for about 2-4 minutes on each side until nice and golden and heated through.  Drain on a paper towel and serve with salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.

note: I prefer my veggies to be more crisp than many people.  If you would rather, you can saute the filling first (minus the cheese) until they reach a bit more tender state.

7 comments:

  1. That last photo says it all s.t.u.n.n.i.n.g I love the whole concept and the filling is perfect for the fried wonton wrapper container well done on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to make these for tonight :) seriously loved it ! Quick question, can we bake it instead of deep fry .. just a thought ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love anything with a southwestern flavor, and your adaptation rocks. Now I have something to do with my leftover wonton wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    I haven't tried them baked but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I might consider spritzing them with a mist of oil before popping them in the oven. Let me know how baking them works if you try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely brilliant idea! Southwestern flavors in an eggroll! I love it, and it looks gorgeous, perfectly golden. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so, so good! Bookmarking this to try soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering, I just love crispy golden food, and if it is shaped beautifully like that, it's even better! You did an amazing job, thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...