Friday, October 8, 2010

Molasses Spice Cookies- Week 2




When I heard about the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies event that Abby  was hosting, I knew that I wanted to be a part of it, even though I had already missed the first week.  As soon as the weather started getting a little cooler I've been listening on and off to Christmas music, (sorry Dad, Mom rubbed off on me!).  Heck, I've found myself looking forward to Christmas ever since the Storm Sprite arrived in July. 

Actually, these cookies are probably directly correlated with my holiday mindset.  You see, back in July, when I first made these cookies I was sitting there almost a week overdue, with completely non-functional A/C (it had died the day before) in record making heat and humidity, waiting to have my second baby.  I was trying everything to get her out when I came across this recipe for cookies that supposedly would help start labor.  Other than risking heating up my house even more, I figured I had nothing to lose.  Even if they didn't start labor, there would still be cookies to eat and I would have killed some time.

The whole house smelled like Christmas.  It was delightful.  The spices in this cookie scream Christmas to me, so much so that even after I had the Storm Sprite two days later, I have still been thinking Christmas ever since.


Molasses Spice Cookies
Ingredients
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
8 T. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. molasses
1 egg 

InstructionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking soda and spices and set aside. Cream the butter and sugars together. Add the molasses to the creamed butter, then add the egg whites until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly. Once incorporated, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place onto baking tray. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove from tray and cool on wire rack.

Yields: 24 



Week 2 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:







10 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at already listening to Christmas music! The only thing I can do this early is bake and shop! The cookies look great. Thanks for sharing them : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! I haven't started listening to the music yet...but would love to dig it out. Although there is a house that is on the street across from my subdivision that was putting out all of their Christmast lights and decorations yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas music too! :) I can never get enough of spice cookies...so Christmasy! Congrats on baby #2:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger cookies are a great way to get into the holiday spirit. I can't wait for Christmas music to start either. It never seems to last long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cayenne pepper? I bet it really kicked the flavor up - I'll have to try that next time.

    It won't be long until the radio stations start playing Christmas music......

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would be singing to "jingle bells" and watching re-runs of "home alone" before i know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' all the ginger cookies this week! Who knew they are supposed to help start labor?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the spice in these cookies! We don't usually cook with molasses in Australia but I imagine I could sub golden syrup which we love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookies look great! I'll remember them in case I ever get pregnant again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I wish I had known about these cookies inducing labour a week ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...